Give this a try when good fresh tomatoes are not in season. Canned tomatoes are picked at the peak of ripeness and make great salsa.
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 8 pickled jalapeño pepper slices
- 2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5-7 Tbsp fresh minced cilantro (optional - it depends on how much you like cilantro)
- Strain diced tomatoes in a collander saving the juice.
- Coarsley chop onion, garlic, and jalapeño and add to food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Add juice from tomatoes, lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Process on high for 25 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup diced tomatoes and process on low for an extra 5 seconds.
- Add remaining tomatoes and cilantro and pulse until it looks right. Serve immeidately or chill and let the flavors combine.
makes about 3 cups.